To illustrate these trends, Social Insider conducted a study on no less than 39,465 publications from 2,624 brand accounts over one year (March 2020 to March 2021), with the following breakdown:
- Accounts with less than 5,000 subscribers: 962
- Accounts between 5,000 and 10,000 subscribers: 475
- Accounts between 10,000 and 50,000 subscribers: 682
- Accounts between 50,000 and 100,000 subscribers: 186
- Accounts with more than 100,000 subscribers: 319
- Images and videos get more engagement
Overall, posts are not the content that generates the most engagement also, the more subscribers an account has, the lower the engagement. Accounts with less than 5K, 5K/10K and 10K/+ should focus on visual content and 10K/50K and 50K/100K accounts on video content.
- The images and articles are published in majority
Of course, images are a must on the platform (49.21%). Despite the lower engagement rate, articles are published in greater numbers (38.76%) and video comes in last place with 12% of published content.
- Visual content gets more "likes
Here, we see the opposite effect to engagement, the more followers, the more likes, which makes sense. Overall, image and video generate the most likes but, on the 50K/100K range, these are the items that are most effective (after the video).
- Videos encourage users to comment
If an account has less than 10,000 followers, it would be better to focus on on the images if you want to get more comments and thus exchanges with users, on the contrary, if an account has more than 10K subscribers, you should rather focus on video. The articles generate few comments...
- Images and videos get the best print rates
For small accounts, images will be the most relevant to reach the most people and videos for large accounts. We can see that for accounts with less than 5K subscribers, the effectiveness of images is undeniable!
- Articles generate more engagement per impression
This metric corresponds to the number of interactions per view of a publication.
Previously, we found that articles were not the best vector of interactions, however, for small accounts when it comes to engagement per impression, they are the most effective, the same for the 10K/50K and 50K/100K brackets. For accounts with between 5K and 10K subscribers, it's video and for those over 100K it's images.